Which screwdriver is better: an overview of the best models and tips on choosing optimal characteristics (70 photos)
The equipment that is used in construction and repair greatly simplifies the life of craftsmen, regardless of whether you are professionals or amateurs. You can screw in the screws manually or use a drill for this purpose, but the comfort of the performer and the quality of work can be improved if you use a screwdriver.
The variety of models allows you to choose the best option for yourself, but at the same time complicates the task. What you should pay attention to when buying and how to get a quality tool, we will tell you in our article.
Screwdrivers are sold with a set of additional accessories. These are various nozzles and cartridges. And the devices themselves have several modes.
Thanks to this functionality, it is possible to perform a variety of operations:
- tighten screws and bolts, connect wooden and metal structures;
- disassemble structures by unscrewing screws and removing fasteners;
- effectively fix dowels and anchors;
- with the help of special nozzles, drill holes or form threads.
The portable and lightweight tool allows you to quickly perform these operations without applying serious effort and without the risk of injury.
Important selection criteria
Each user independently evaluates what is important to him in a particular tool or its model. It is not necessary to make a decision by looking only at the photos of screwdrivers.
Technical characteristics, ease of use, design, as well as price are important. But when choosing, it is necessary to take into account the purpose, as well as your level of professionalism.
The most universal parameters are:
- The engine power that affects the speed of work, and the efforts made by the master.
- Class. There are household and professional screwdrivers that differ in functionality. You can also find combined variants that do not belong uniquely to the specified classes.
- Characteristics of batteries. For products that are able to work autonomously, this factor is often decisive. All types of batteries have their advantages and disadvantages, so they need to be correlated with the mode of future operation and the purpose of use.
- Reliability of the network mode. If you choose this option, then you need to pay attention to reliability and security.
- Comfort in use.
- Technical parameters, additional options and the possibility of customization. Each master selects the most valuable of them – ranges in rotation speed, adjustment of the clamping system, illumination, etc.
- Price. The more top-end the model and the more functionality it has, the more expensive it will cost. But not all options are important and in demand. Therefore, it is always necessary to select an option taking into account the entire set of criteria.
Tools with batteries
Cordless screwdrivers allow you to work in remote locations or on sites where electricity is not carried out.
High mobility and convenience for the performer are important advantages of this type. At the same time, the battery needs to be charged, and the allowable resource depends on its type and quality.
Types of batteries
Nickel-cadmium (NiCd) batteries belong to the economy class, they are inexpensive, but they work reliably enough in various weather conditions and temperature fluctuations. They have a large resource in terms of the number of recharges, and the charging process itself is fast.
However, such a battery is large in size and quite heavy. Due to the memory effect, the capacity drops sharply, so it must be completely discharged regularly. A high degree of self-discharge and the toxicity of the constituent substance negatively affect the quality of nickel-cadmium samples.
Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) batteries are characterized by a high level of environmental friendliness and low weight. They have a large capacity and do not require recharging for a long time. The memory effect is less strong.
The main disadvantage is the impossibility of their operation at subzero temperatures, since spontaneous discharge begins. Such a screwdriver should be stored in a recharged form. It should not be left in unheated rooms.
Lithium-ion (Li-Ion) batteries charge quickly, hold a charge well for a long period of time and have no memory effect.
Lithium screwdrivers have a professional purpose and are expensive. Therefore, it is impractical to buy them for household chores.
The duration of the screwdriver's operation, without recharging, is determined by the capacity of its battery. If the power of 1.3-2 Ah is sufficient for household tools, then professional ones require a longer permissible duration of manipulation – over 2 Ah.
High-quality equipment involves fast charging from the mains. This is especially important in terms of the intensity of operations at the construction site. Professional devices are charged in 0.5-1.5 hours, and for household devices it will take a longer time – up to 12 hours.
The voltage varies quite widely, but the models for 10.8V, 12V, 14.4 V and 18V have become widespread. For professional activity, as a rule, samples with a voltage of 18V are chosen, and for simple home manipulations, screwdrivers at 10.8 and 12V will be sufficient.
Additional technical parameters
Operational properties are also associated with the speed mode. If the availability of 2 speeds is optimal for budget units, then professional screwdrivers have three modes:
- 3.5 thousand-2.5 thousand rpm.;
- 1.5 thousand-1.2 thousand rpm.;
- 700-600 rpm./min.
The advantage of a high-quality tool is the function of disconnecting when the pressure on it is relieved. Well, gearboxes with metal gears are mandatory for high-quality professional screwdrivers. Polymer or combined gears are allowed in household tools.
Depending on the set voltage, the most popular models can be determined:
- The Makita DF030 DWE and BOSCH GSR10,8-LI L-BOXX stand out among the 10.8-free screwdrivers;
- 12-volt versions — AEG BS12G2 LI-152C and Makita 6271DWAE;
- of the 14.4 V samples — Bosch PSR14,4 LI-2 and Makita BDF343 SHE;
- among the units on 18V — RYOBI RID1801M and DeWalt DCD780C2.
Network type tool
This type of units requires constant power supply from the power grid. Only the availability of power can ensure the continuity of the construction work process. Since there is no battery, the network screwdrivers weigh significantly less, which reduces the load on a person.
However, the presence of a cord limits mobility on the construction site. The price for them will be less. It depends mainly on the technical parameters of the model.
The following advantages are also important:
- increased number of revolutions;
- the ability to work in frosty conditions.
When choosing a network model, the same technical parameters are taken into account as for battery varieties. The following parameters are appreciated, for example:
- The power that affects the performance and quality of manipulations during repair.
- The torque that sets the rotational force. The larger it is, the higher the quality of operations and the variety of materials that can be processed. But you will need devices for fixing parts.
- Speed control to set the rotation speed.
Among the most popular and high-quality network tools are Makita TD0101F, Sturm SOFT TOUCH ID2145P, Bosch GSR 6-45 TE + MA 55 Professional, Metabo DWSE 6.3.
Models with a brushless motor
Tools of this type are more economical, but also cost more. The consumption of electrical energy is directed only to ensure the rotation of the working part of the unit and the equipment fixed in it. No energy is lost on the brushes, the windings of the screwdriver motor do not heat up.
The brushless screwdriver differs in the following parameters:
- the presence of built-in electronics;
- reduced noise level;
- a high indicator of the working resource;
- uniformity of rotation;
- optimally matched dimensions;
- safety in operation;
- cooling system with air supply from below;
- sealed protection of the electrical part of the unit.
Shock type models
The force that is necessary for the correct tightening of screws, screws or nuts is applied not constantly, without interruption, but impulsively in the form of a frequently repeated series of blows. Impact Screwdriver:
- has a large torque;
- it can be used when tightening nuts;
- reduces the load on the person and the degree of effort applied.
But at the same time, the drilling speed in impact mode is lower, as a rule, only hexagon cartridges are used in the design. A big disadvantage is the inability to use a torque limiting clutch, which requires constant monitoring by the user. Also this tool is noisy.
A few tips when choosing
You can choose a screwdriver according to different criteria. Some like specific manufacturers, others pay attention to the engines of screwdrivers, and comfort is important to others. We offer several important rules:
Estimate the torque. To work with drywall and board, you can use models up to 3 Nm, but for roofing work you need a tool at 40 Nm and above.
If you work with a durable material, for example, brick or concrete, then choose shock options.
The presence of a backlight helps in the work. But you can choose a product with a light bulb above the start button or above the battery.
Batteries with a high memory effect are uneconomical. Therefore, it is not recommended to use such screwdrivers.
When working professionally, choose gearboxes with metal gears. This is a more durable option. In everyday conditions, you can use a plastic model.
Study the configuration and availability of adapters. Screwdrivers with an adapter are more convenient to use if all the elements are attached to the tool.
Pay attention to the battery capacity. Under normal conditions, an indicator of 1.5-2Ah will be sufficient, and a more capacious battery is needed for construction.
When buying a screwdriver, you will encounter a wide selection of possible models. They differ in types and technical parameters. The leaders in this field are devices of the Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, Metabo brands. You definitely can't go wrong with them.
Photos of the best screwdriver