The roof of the gazebo: instructions for beginners. Photos of the best options for a rafter system for a gazebo
A gazebo is an indispensable element in any suburban area or house territory. Thanks to her, you can relax in the fresh air in any weather: with scorching sunlight, and with a little rain. Properly designed construction will protect you from various external factors, will allow you to have a great time in nature.
An integral element of any gazebo is the roof, it is it that will protect you from bad weather conditions, provide a comfortable pastime and quality rest for the whole family.
We will try to figure out how to make a roof on our own, what to pay attention to, tell you about the technology of upcoming works.
When deciding what the shelter of the structure under construction will be, take care not only of its aesthetics and originality, but also of its strength and reliability. There are a lot of varieties of forms of this structural element, let's analyze the most common options:
Single-pitched roofs. The easiest type in execution, suitable for quadrangular buildings.
Gable. The roof of this plan is suitable for rectangular gazebos, created from rafters of various types.
Four-pitched. This option is quite simple to implement, convenient to use, will perfectly fit into any landscape design of the site. The structure is created using several types of rafters.
The hexagonal roof is quite heavy in execution. This shape looks original and beautiful, suitable for square or rounded gazebos.
Tent. Such a roof will bring charm to the household territory, give it sophistication and originality. This option is a kind of four–pitched form, the main difference is that two slopes are made not in the form of trapezoids, but in the form of triangles. The structural element in the tent design is created on the basis of sloping rafters and roof supports.
Round. Creating such an option is quite a laborious process, but the result will be simply amazing: your recreation area will become extraordinary and incredibly beautiful. For its device, beveled rafters are needed, on which a circular crate is attached.
To see what these or other options look like, you can study numerous photos of the roofs of gazebos, and then understand which one is best suited for your recreation area.
All these types of roofs are united by two factors: the need for a truss system and the availability of roofing material. Therefore, you need to treat these details as carefully as possible, carefully analyze all the questions you are interested in.
We select roofing material
After you have decided on the shape of the future structural element, the question arises: "What to make a roof out of?". The selection of the finishing coating of the roof must be taken very seriously, because it will depend on both the performance qualities of the roof, its wear resistance and durability, and the appearance of the entire household territory.
Therefore, you should not save much on roofing materials, pay attention not to the price, but to their weight, technical characteristics and methods of fastening to the base.
Attention! In order to avoid possible problems associated with excessive load of the roof on the foundation of the structure, it is better to opt for a not too heavy coating.
Coating materials can be hard and soft. The first type includes the following varieties: slate, tiles, composite slabs, shingles, etc. Soft options – roofing material, bitumen tiles, polycarbonate, ondulin.
Before sending it to a hardware store, be sure to make a roof project that is being equipped with your own hands, this will allow you to accurately calculate the required amount of roofing material, calculate the load that the rafter system will have to withstand.
When making the calculation, be sure to take into account the following design nuances:
- the total weight of the rafters;
- the heaviness of the roofing pie;
- climatic features of the area (snow and wind load);
- the mass of equipment planned for attachment to the roof: ventilation devices, antennas, etc.
It is these data that will allow you not to make a mistake in choosing and create a strong and stable structure on your site.
The roof base is a rafter system
Sets the geometry of the roof truss structure, which is created from wooden bars with a quadrangular cross section. It is this system that will take over the main load of the roof, and the roof sheathing stuffed on it will evenly distribute the total weight over its surface and frame.
To choose the ideal thickness of the rafters, when building a roof, be guided by the following features of your structural element:
- the total weight of the roofing pie, which is the sum of the weight of the finishing material, the crate, various waterproofing and thermal insulation materials;
- the length of the rafters;
- by the step of attaching the rafters;
- the selected roofing slope;
- the shape of the structural element.
Build the roof: the main stages
Having decided on the type, having drawn up the project of this structural element, having calculated the amount of necessary materials, both for the construction of the truss system and for the finishing coating, you can start construction and installation work. Let's analyze the two most popular options chosen for the arrangement of the shelter of gazebos.
Single-pitched roof. It is a flat coating placed at a slight slope. It is necessary so that all kinds of precipitation do not remain on the ceiling, but flow down or fall off it.
So, its construction includes the following stages:
- Construction of the rafter system: for this, the beams are laid perpendicular to the mauerlat and fastened to it with nails.
- The upholstery of the rafters with a crate. The role of the crate is usually the slats of the size you need. They are nailed to the rafters at right angles.
- The waterproofing material is placed on top of the crate. Waterproofing is laid so that its pieces overlap, one on top of the other, they are connected together with a wide adhesive tape or a construction stapler.
- Laying of the finishing coating
Four-pitched. The design of the finished roof will be very attractive, while it is not very difficult to design and easy to operate.
For the construction of its truss system, special elements will be needed:
- beveled rafters, these diagonal details will set the shape;
- central rafters – will unite the ridge with the supporting frame;
- narozhniki, or short rafters, they will be attached to the support with one end, the other to the bevel beams.
The main stages of work in the construction of a four-pitched roof:
- Mounting the skate, attaching struts and vertical supports to it.
- Fastening of diagonal rafters, they will form slopes.
- Fixing of central rafters and roof supports.
- Laying of the waterproofing layer, its fastening.
- The crate device.
- Installation of roofing.
For a more thorough understanding of the construction process, we recommend that you view various photo and video instructions for the arrangement of roofs of various shapes and sizes. Having clearly understood how the roof is installed, having prepared all the necessary tools and materials, feel free to proceed with the design.