Summer kitchen in the country: interesting projects and the best design ideas. 120 photos use in landscape design
On a hot summer day, nothing can be better than a summer kitchen in the country, where the cooking process becomes more comfortable than in a stuffy room. In autumn and winter, it can be used for barbecue, barbecue frying.
A variety of photos of a summer kitchen in the country indicate that it is not difficult to build it with your own hands, and there can be many options for choosing the material and finishing of the kitchen.
Depending on the destination, the climatic conditions of the kitchen can be:
Closed kitchen: veranda and terrace
Closed versions of summer kitchens are chosen when you want to turn them from a simple place of cooking into a convenient place for family holidays. On warm days, the room, which is often a glazed veranda, can be used as an additional place to stay overnight. In winter, supplies, vegetable and fruit preparations are often stored here.
If the kitchen is used as a place of rest in the cold months of the year, it is often insulated and heated. Then you can pass the winter evenings with a cup of tea in a cozy family atmosphere by the fireplace.
Advantages of a closed kitchen:
- the room is protected from wind, precipitation and insects;
- it can be used as an additional place to stay overnight;
- it is possible to combine with a pantry;
- if there is heating, it can be used in the cool season.
Among the disadvantages of such a construction are the additional costs of building materials and the construction itself. It will be necessary to consider a variety of standard projects of summer kitchens attached to the house, or to order the project separately, which will lead to an increase in the cost of construction.
However, common sense and the opportunity to get a beautiful and functional room from the owners of country cottages usually outweighs, and they do not refuse the opportunity to build an extension to the house with a closed veranda or an open terrace.
Open kitchen: gazebo and light veranda
Depending on the wishes of the owners, the open-type summer kitchen can be detached or attached to the house. In the second case, it is an open terrace with railings-parapets.
The detached building is comfortable in the hot season:
- there is no need to ventilate it;
- the process of cooking in the fresh air is pleasant;
- it is possible to cook dishes on an open fire: on the grill, barbecue, in a tandoor or on the grill;
- you can organize both a cooking zone and a dining area nearby, then the hostess will not have to run into the house with ready meals.
Such a building can be a good platform for family holidays and holidays with friends.
Advantages of a summer kitchen:
- there are no complex construction works, all the work can be done independently and quickly;
- there will be no large costs for the purchase of building materials;
- there is no desire to cook food on the street – you can do with the installation of a barbecue, a tandoor and the arrangement of a recreation area;
- a great opportunity for organizing outdoor recreation.
The simplest designs of open–type kitchens are the foundation and platform made of natural or artificial stone, the support and roof are wooden. If an oven is installed, it needs to be faced with a stone.
An oven for an open-air summer kitchen can be of various options, depending on the purpose. If you are planning to cook hot dishes, you can invite an experienced stove maker, he will lay out a brick oven.
If you do not pursue such goals, you can limit yourself to building a gazebo with barbecue – simple and comfortable. It will not require large financial investments, complex excavation and construction work. In addition, there is no need to look for a large area on the site for the arrangement of such a kitchen.
The disadvantages of this type of kitchens include:
- seasonality of use – in winter and no one will agree to eat outside. Is it possible to fry kebabs on a warm windless day;
- in summer, mosquitoes and other insects, known for their annoyance, can spoil the pleasure of lunch;
- dust in the kitchen area will require additional protection of products and frequent cleaning of the kitchen area;
- in the absence of a roof and walls, the kitchen cannot be used during rain and strong wind;
- for safety reasons, it is better to take all products and valuables into the house at night – unkind people can covet them, and birds will gladly eat up food supplies.
An open-type summer kitchen cannot be used as an additional dwelling, however, this option of organizing the living space of the cottage does not become less popular.
Design options for the summer kitchen
The design of the summer kitchen will depend on the overall landscape design, the area of the plot, the preferences of the owners. A closed veranda attached to the house should form a single whole with it. A lightweight wooden structure will look harmonious if you do not intend to use it as a living room.
The main purpose of the kitchen is cooking, so the main element in it is the oven. In a closed annex to the house, it is better to make it out of brick or install a gas one, which will significantly speed up the cooking process. In the open version, the central place will be occupied by a barbecue or barbecue.
The design style of the open building will dictate the landscape design. If there is a swimming pool or other body of water on the territory, it is better to place a recreation area with a barbecue nearby or fit it into the general ensemble.
When decorating a summer kitchen with wood, a wood stove, a small wood stove, wooden furniture will be an excellent stylization element. At the same time, it is important to take care of the fire safety of the object. A summer gazebo with a small kitchen area made of wood looks great.
Wicker furniture made of rattan, vines is an excellent choice for a recreation area combined with a summer kitchen of any type – open or closed. On the glazed veranda used in the winter season, a fireplace, wooden furniture with soft pillows will be appropriate. Such elements will decorate the interior, create a cozy atmosphere.
The overall style sets the lighting. It must be functional. The path leading to the detached gazebo can be decorated with lanterns with light–accumulating elements - they will fit into the landscape design, decorate the plot and make a safe passage to the summer kitchen.
Summer kitchen with your own hands
The modern construction market offers summer residents ready-made kitchens for a country house. Their advantage is that you can build a building quickly: it is enough to prepare the foundation and bring and install a structure on it, which is most often made of wood.
However, it is much more pleasant to pick up the tools and create an object on the site yourself, especially since it is not difficult to build it.
Before making a summer kitchen, you need to choose a plot and prepare materials. The place should be chosen taking into account the following recommendations:
- convenient location relative to the entrance to the house, but so that smoke and fumes do not penetrate into the dwelling;
- placing the kitchen so that no smells spoil the taste of food, away from toilets, outbuildings where animals are kept, compost pits – at least 15 meters from them;
- providing access to communications – water supply, if available, electricity;
- the kitchen needs to be equipped where it will not be blown by the winds, but at the same time the sun's rays will get access to it.
The first stage is the preparation of the foundation. Depending on the project, it can be a ribbon foundation for an enclosed veranda or a brick, stone structure.
For a light summer kitchen, it will be enough to level and concreted the area, reinforcing it with a metal mesh. In this case, the floor should be raised 5-10 cm above ground level so that rainwater does not flood it.
Depending on the chosen project, brick or stone walls are erected or pillars are installed. The stone is stronger and more durable, but more expensive in cost.
Wood is easier to install and operate, moreover, it is possible to erect a beautiful structure, install carved or openwork elements. However, the tree requires additional processing to make the building pleasing to the eye for a long time.
The last stage is the roof. It can be flat, lean-to or gable. The first option is simpler and cheaper, the second is more reliable and durable. Do not forget to make an elongated visor to protect the walls from rain.
It remains to perform the interior decoration. It is better to choose wood for the floor, protect the walls with a layer of drying oil or varnish or cover with paint. Do not forget to refine the area around: planted flowers, climbing plants will give the building a complete look.
Photo of a summer kitchen in the country