Doghouse: 120 photos of simple and elegant options for the backyard and garden
In practice, a doghouse is not difficult to build with your own hands, as it may seem at first glance. This work will require simple materials at hand, a minimal set of tools and a little free time.
The main task is to correctly calculate the size of housing for a pet so that it is comfortable in any weather. In addition, a beautiful, properly built and decorated booth will aesthetically complement the style and landscape of the infield.
Prior to starting work, it is necessary to draw up a competent drawing of the booth, taking into account its size and shape. Keep in mind that a too bulky product, including partitions, ledges and ladders, will be completely inappropriate for your pet!
The most acceptable is a traditional rectangular kennel with a side entrance and a single-pitched roof. It will provide a cozy comfortable place under the warm sun.
It is quite good if one of the walls or the roof itself will be removed for disinfection cleaning in the kennel.
The size of the kennel for a dog directly depends on its size, for this you will need to make a measurement: the height at the withers, the width of the chest, the total length from the tail to the nose and the height of the animal. This will help to make a sketch and design parameters correctly:
- the width and height of the kennel corresponds to the height of the pet plus five centimeters;
- the volume of the entrance opening is equal to the width of the chest and slightly add (maximum 5 cm);
- the height of the opening is slightly higher than the height of the dog;
- the depth is calculated for the length of the dog's trunk, but we also add 5 cm.
The dimensions of the booth for calculating parameters can be found in a special reference book. Then it is necessary to make drawings of the room with the corresponding preliminary dimensions of the booth.
Next, you should choose the right material — as a rule, wood (coniferous species) is considered the traditional raw material, since it is environmentally friendly and safe for the life of a pet. In addition, wood is the most convenient and pliable material for work.
The necessary set of tools
It is better to stock up on all the necessary material and tools in advance:
- edged board 25 mm;
- the bars are dry;
- lining, which will be sheathed in a dog's dwelling;
- plywood sheets, or chipboard;
- bars 40 by 40 mm;
- roofing sheets;
- antiseptic for impregnation;
- sand mixture;
- hinges for the doorway;
- galvanized nails;
- a hammer.
In order to avoid injury to the limbs, it is first necessary to thoroughly clean all the boards and bars available for work. They should also be treated with a special impregnation, but it is recommended to do this after the end of the work, since the puppy may not be satisfied and scare off a sharp foreign smell.
Kennel with a lean—to roof - stages of work
As a rule, dogs prefer to bask at the top of their house, for this reason it is reasonable to build a lean-to roof. But, keep in mind that a slight bias should still be present.
To protect the animal from winter frost and cold, you should make a insulated booth, which is better to carry out at the first stage of assembly. For the same reason, it is reasonable to place the manhole on the widest side of the kennel, shifting it to any selected corner. The wind will not get inside, which will allow the dog to be in constant warmth.
To make the bottom of the house, you will need 40 by 40 mm bars, which should be cut according to the length of the bottom and connected using screws in the shape of a rectangle. When starting a large large dog, the frame should be additionally reinforced with transverse bars. Then it needs to be sheathed with boards from one side.
To insulate the booth, it is necessary to lay parchment inside, securing it with staples with a stapler. The next layer will be followed by foam, tightly laid among the bars. The height of the insulation material corresponds to the height of the bars. An additional layer of parchment is placed on the foam and the floor surface is constructed.
Next, we assemble the frame of the kennel:
- a 100 mm thick beam is sawn into four parts corresponding to the size of the structure, we fix them vertically at the corners of the bottom. To form the slope of the roof, it is required to lay large racks in the front, and short ones in the back. All parts are fixed with screws or nails;
- in the center of the wall surface, you need to additionally fill a bar in a vertical position, and two small bars on both sides of the manhole;
- to strengthen the frame, metal plates are used at the joints.
The finished structure of the base should be lined with lining on the front side and insulated inside: we close the walls with parchment with a stapler, then stuff mineral wool or foam.
Next comes a repeated layer of parchment, stuffed sheets of plywood or similar material. To avoid injury to the dog, galvanized nails should be carefully hammered until their hats are completely drowned.
To erect a lean-to roof, it is necessary to knock down the frame corresponding to the perimeter of the house. Among the bars, it is required to tightly stuff the pieces of foam, covering them with a film and fixing them with staples.
The plywood sheet is laid so that it overlaps the lower frame behind and from all sides a maximum of 10 centimeters. The front part should protrude 20 centimeters to avoid rain falling inside the room.
We fasten the already finished roof with loops, stuffing a layer of roofing material or soft tiles on top.
Finishing and installation of the dog house
The photo of the doghouse shows a ready-made structure that needs to be treated externally with an antiseptic composition, or with special impregnating solutions and properly dried. On the floor surface, we fill a sheet of roofing material and fix a pair of bars, also covered with a mixture of primer. For the aesthetic appearance of the kennel, the manhole and the end parts of the lining are decorated with platbands.
It is important to correctly place a ready-made house for a dog in a free suitable place on the territory of the house. The selected area should not get wet and fall under the gusts of winds.
It is better, if the surface of the soil will be the most aligned, and the whole place is lit by natural light. The dog needs to see almost the entire territory of the protected area, to notice strangers.
The house in the aviary
Your pet feels much better in a spacious aviary with a doghouse, which is also not difficult to make yourself. In order to avoid inconvenience, stiffness and harm to the dog's health, it is necessary to take into account some nuances during the construction of the aviary:
- The most important factor is the size and size of the pet, the parameter of the aviary depends on these factors. Keep in mind that too large an area of the cage prevents the entry and preservation of warm air!
- It is not necessary to make the walls of the room deaf, as the dog will observe the actions taking place on its territory. Most often, for this purpose, a grid — chain link with ordinary cells is used.
- When choosing a floor covering, consider the habits of a pet.
- It is not recommended to completely bring the aviary under the roof.
- It is better to open the doorway inwards, and it is reasonable to put locks or shutters on both sides on the door itself.
As practice has proven — a dog raised in a free aviary suffers from diseases much less often than its domestic counterpart! This fact is due to the constant availability of fresh air.
Photo of a doghouse