House in the Art Nouveau style — 80 photos of modern design. Design features and technology
Modernist stylization in architecture and art appeared at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries. This is a time of global changes in architectural and design trends, which is marked by the beginning of the use of completely updated forms and building materials. The design of the house in the Art Nouveau style initially stood out with a bright expression. During the construction, the latest technologies began to be used, completely different principles of construction were applied.
Today, houses in this style are built of timber, SIP panels, single-storey houses in the Art Nouveau style have a frame format, but larger modern buildings are built using combined materials.
Distinctive features of modern modernist designs are the presence of floral prints in the design of the facade and interior areas, as well as the absence of clear sharp corners and lines.
House buildings in the style of modernism, whether it is a wooden structure or a frame structure, must necessarily have a holistic concept with the surrounding background. Architects use various techniques and combinations of arc-shaped lines to create the illusion of a smooth transition from one form to another.
Based on the design features and materials used in the construction, houses are divided into two categories:
- Buildings made of high-quality wood materials, allowing you to build unique compositions with an eco-format. This also includes two-storey houses in the Art Nouveau style, built of log elements.
- Buildings whose foreground is occupied by combinations of reinforced concrete and metal, not hidden behind plaster. The main decoration of such houses are large glass elements.
Facade made of wood
By the appearance of the house facade, one can judge the aesthetics and functionality of the entire building. This principle affects all constructions, regardless of what material it is made of.
Modern houses in the Art Nouveau style, built of wood elements, have these features:
- balcony structures of rough execution;
- ladder structures;
- oversized terraces and loggias;
- intricate galleries;
- window and door passages of different sizes.
Frame residential buildings and structures or SIP panels, it is very difficult to combine the fundamental principles of this modernist trend.
However, judging by the catalogs of beautiful houses, such buildings look very impressive, and the material costs for the construction of buildings will be small.
The northern modernist format of houses is characterized by severity and sometimes even rudeness, while the architecture complies with all the laws of stylistics. The special design of the facades is due to individual differences in climatic conditions.
The features indicating the northern design are the presence of:
- facade bay windows;
- hexagonal window openings;
- sharp-angled roofs.
Russian view of Modernism
The following design techniques are typical for houses in the Russian Modern style:
- combining in one design of various materials that are matched to each other in color shades. Log elements are often mixed with brick or stone inserts:
- the design uses elements that came from Russian architecture, in the form of patterned platbands, shutters, towers. A typical modernist Russian building is similar to a fairy-tale house, a terem;
- balconies and porches decorated with forged elements are always present. Window openings are large, often there are solid wall glazed canvases, stained glass inserts. Windows and doorways have an intricate oval shape;
- all wall surfaces and the entrance are decorated with mosaic belts and patterned friezes;
- the overall style of execution has softness, strict symmetrical proportions, the building is in harmony with the surrounding landscape landscape.
The color palette of stylistics
The interior decoration and the exterior facade of a residential building must necessarily echo their colors.
Looking through numerous photos of Art Nouveau houses, you can pretend that the following color palettes are characteristic of the direction:
- soft beige and traditional snow-white;
- the range of chocolate shades;
- olive shade;
- unobtrusive red color.
Smooth ornaments, made in the basic color palette, are the personification of genuine naturalness. Thanks to the use of natural shades, it turns out to create the illusion of a smooth transition of lines from one background to another.
A characteristic technique of interior design of the house in the Art Nouveau style is the use of smooth lines and outlines. Smoothness and fluidity are found everywhere: in the geometry of decorative elements, in wall ornaments, and in furniture forms.
Furniture furnishings in modernist dwellings are arranged closer to the center of the room, that is, away from windows and walls. Therefore, really necessary and functional items are used in the interior. For the living room, the necessary set will be a set of a sofa and a pair of armchairs, a wardrobe and a small table.
The room is big enough to accommodate a large comfortable bed, dressing table and chest of drawers. Important in the selection of furniture items to avoid sharp edge and blunt.
The interior composition must necessarily contain a large number of floral ornaments, which are found not only in the decoration of wall surfaces, but also in furniture upholstery.
Frosted glass surfaces are also appropriate here, and stained glass inserts that emphasize belonging to this style can give a special dynamic and luxury to the whole composition.
The smoothness of the lines is transferred from the exterior facade decoration and into the interior. There should be a lot of arched elements in the rooms, which are represented by the backs of chairs and the headboard of the bed, the elegant outlines of the fireplace, window openings, etc. Special attention is paid to the design of interior doorways, which amaze with the elegance of lines and curves.
Properly selected lighting will help to emphasize the modernist vector of the design. It carries not only a functional load here, but is also a decorative element. Lighting devices should have an elegant shape, they are made of metal, wood or colored glass.
The interior will be decorated with various mosaic canvases, figurines from the world of fauna, paintings in baguettes.